Saturday, July 20, 2013

Lots of failure and some success with my CNC router

The first iteration of my home-built CNC router


The one thing that I have learned while building and learning how to operate my Shapeoko variant CNC router, was that success is achieved by preventing any one of a hundred things from going wrong.  So before I show you any of my successes, I think that it is only fair to show off some of my many failures and the lessons learned:


Lesson learned:  Don't forget to use holding tabs to keep the part secured or bad things can happen.



Lesson learned:  An overloaded circuit can bring a multi-hour job to a sad end.


Lesson learned:  If your Z axis starts to drive your bit deep into the wood for no reason, check the Z stepper motor to make sure it hasn't gone bad before wasting days exploring other possible causes.


Lesson learned:  When milling Aluminum, slow down.

Now for some successful cuts:


This was cut out of pine and is about 10" wide.


This was my first successful milling of 1/8" Aluminum plate.  The parts, all with precision-drilled holes, are fastening plates for T-slotted Aluminum extrusions (like those from which this CNC router was constructed).

I look forward to milling other materials like HDPE plastic, hardwoods, cork, and if I get really brave, stainless steel.


21 comments:

  1. His idyllic existence is one day broken when a team of heavily armed men turn his house into dust in an attempt to kill him, it’s up to him then and a few old friends to try and get to the bottom of the mysterious kill squad. https://royalcbd.com/faq/

    ReplyDelete
  2. เว็บดูหนังฟรี HD movie2news.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the good information. ดูหนังฟรี
    movieplotfree.com

    ReplyDelete